Friday, April 19, 2024

The Inaugural Book Collector Post

Okay, as per my post a few days ago, I've decided to talk a little about the books I have on my shelf as well as the toys I have up there, especially considering that there are probably more book nerds who read my blog than toy nerds.

I figured I'd start with Dune since it's pretty topical these days.

I first read Dune back in the nineties, and was totally blown away by how complete the world felt, how imaginative and immersive it was. I wanted to get my own copy, for I had already begun collecting books even then. I had almost no money, however, so I made all my book purchases from used book stores or on the bargain shelves at Barnes & Noble. Dune wasn't making an appearance on either of those shelves in those days. I could buy the full price book or nothing, and my circumstances dictated that my choice would have to be nothing.

Here and there over the years, I've checked to see if there was a good edition that I could pick up, but I never bit. Just a few years ago, not long after the first Timothy Chalumet movie came out, I looked on Amazon, and they had a really fancy edition that was available for $25...well, if it were still the nineties, I would have had to walk away, but these days, I have to pay similar prices for action figures, so adjusted for inflation, it would have been $10 in the nineties.

I grabbed it, and when it came, I was really impressed. The book is beautiful. The cover is striking, and check out the color on the edges of the pages:

Neat, huh? Not only that, but there's a load of great art included in interesting ways. There's full color pictures on the inside covers of the front and back.


And even on the inside of the dust jacket. It's printed on both sides.


 The book itself has stuff indented into the cover, which is pretty rad.

I must not fear.

And there's a whole bunch of appendices at the end of the book to read.

I just finished listening to the book on audio today. It's only the second time I've read the book. I really ought to do it more often. At least once every ten years, eh? Anyway, those appendices weren't a part of the audio, so I think I'm going to read them now, and see just what they have in there for me.

It looks like you can still get your hands on this edition of Dune over on Amazon for just slightly less than what I paid, so if you've always wanted a beautiful copy of Dune and you can spare $25, head over and grab it while you still can. Maybe I ought to get one of those Amazon partner accounts or whatever they are, where they give you money if people follow your link over and buy something. Although, most of my books came from used book stores, so I probably won't talk Amazon on many more of these posts in the future. Oh well.

Oh, and for the record, the book Dune had nothing to do with the name of the podcast. Just a coincidence.

3 comments:

Dave said...

So, do not ingest, use on skin only seems like good advice.
A fine looking book it is, I currently have no copy.
I have 1 bookcase and have pared my books down to fit, gone are the days when I thought someday I might have a small corner library room with a wall of shelves, a reading chair, a fine lamp, a great globe on a stand, a fireplace and a window to look out in the dark (where others trudging the snowy sidewalk outside could see my softly lit reading room window and think, good squire Dave is comfortable, all is right in the world, he inspires us to think we can throw off these rags and attain bourgeoise status too. I digress, How do you do it, this fine display of books and toys and a family?

Big Anklevich said...

It's been a fleeting thing, but for some reason I've always had the dream of achieving it. More years than not, the books were in boxes in the basement as were the toys. Several times, I brought out my bookshelf and adorned it with toys and books, only to have to give the room back up, because my kids weren't going to be sharing rooms any longer. It wasn't until 2013 when I finally merited a study. My wife graciously allowed me to fill it with bookshelves and decorate it with toys, even though it embarrassed her greatly every time her friends came to visit, and they passed in front of its archway on their way to the living room. She's a good sheila, and not at all stuck up. Since them, it's expanded to fill two walls, and maybe, one day, I'll take it onto the third, but if I do, I have to do it in a way that leaves me a space for my desk. I do love it, though. I suspect that it may actually be near its zenith, and someday soon it will have to start to diminish, as we downsize our home again now that are kids have grown and are moving away. That seems like it may be a while, however, considering the interest rates and all, so I may have a little bit to enjoy it. I'll do my best to enjoy it while I can, so I can look back at it fondly in my dotage.

Rish Outfield said...

I currently have less money than I should, so I won't be buying "Dune" anytime soon, but that is the version I'd get if I could. It's among the two or three beautifullest books I've ever seen, and I love the metallic blue page edges.

I owned a first printing of the book a few years back, but I'd really rather have this one.