Thursday, April 4, 2024

One Last Easter Decoration

Our son seems to have grown out of playing with Legos. He's twelve now, and for years, Legos were his favorite. You could count on making him happy with a present that contained Legos. However, a couple of months ago on his birthday, my wife gave him a couple of sets, and he hasn't even bothered to build them. When we bug him about it, he will get them out and start on them, but quickly lose interest and drift away to something else, leaving a bunch of loose Legos on the table  to get knocked off onto the ground and lost.

We've realized that it's time to stop giving them to him, but my wife buys presents for holidays a pretty long way out, so there was a Lego Easter bunny set in his Easter basket on Sunday. I joked that he was going to have to give it to me, since he never builds his Legos anymore, and he admitted that it was true. However, I took a nap Sunday afternoon, and by the time I woke up, he had actually built it for once.

"Look, Dad," he said, "bunny!"

It's a pretty small set, so maybe the key is getting him little ones that won't allow his attention to wander, since they don't take so long to assemble. It's pretty cute, and I asked him if I could add it to my Easter decorations to put up each year. He was happy to give it to me. He doesn't have any more room to put up Lego sets anymore. He's got so many of them that he's maxed out his display space.

So, just before taking down all the Easter decorations and returning my shelves to their default setting, I threw up the gray Easter bunny to go along with the white and yellow ones that I already have.



No comments: