Friday, April 12, 2024

A Scarlett Letter

Algar Van Cluth suggested that I should wait until clearance for the Vintage Scarlett from the GI Joe Classified line. I had to ignore that advice, because I'd already pre-ordered the figure. 

Maybe I still could have, but truthfully, I didn't want to. This is the Scarlett figure that I've wanted ever since they announced this six-inch line. This figure is the third version of Scarlett that I've bought. When the line first began, I bought every figure they offered, including the updated-for-modern-audiences version of Scarlett.

I guess Hasbro didn't believe that modern collectors would like a Scarlett that wore the same old tan bathing suit-looking outfit that she wore back in the eighties, so they gussied her up with a bunch of extra colors and highlights and a goofy new face and hair color.

I tried a few things to make Scarlett more like the one I'd loved as a kid, and considered a full-on custom version. I'd seen some really good repaints of the figure, but I suspected that, like the Baroness that I built for myself, as soon as I finished the custom repaint, they'd announce their own classic version of Scarlett that I could have gotten without putting in all the effort and still coming up with something that was only "pretty good."

So, even though I gad the origninal release and the movie release of Scarlett...

I waited, and lo and behold, they announced that classic vintage look Scarlett. Now she's hitting stores, and I've got her in my grubby little mitts.

I have to say that I absolutely love the figures. It's exactly what I always wanted. It comes with a literal crap ton of accessories, including two different pony tails, so you can give her a more action-packed hairstyle if you'd like.

When you compare it to the old Scarlett that I had, which I'd enhanced by giving it the head from my Black Widow to make it closer to the character I wanted it to be, it towers above.

Although that might have been poor phrasing, because in the picture the old one looks a lot taller. I think they're basically the same size as far as that goes, though. The new one looks shorter because she's crouching a lot more.

Now, I can give Black Widow her long hair back. I've been using the short-haired-version on that shelf for a while, but I definitely prefer the long hair.

And Scarlett can join her compadres on the Joe shelf.

With Scarlett and Gung Ho made vintage, the only non-vintage looking guy there is Duke. He's still got the stupid golden shin guards and futuristic gun in his hand. The vintage Duke was released in the same wave as Scarlett. I didn't pre-order it, but I saw it in the store the other day, and I'm sorely tempted to buy it. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will very likely be able to get it at clearance in a few months, but will I have the fortitude to wait? Probably not, to be honest. I'm sure I'll have a post about adding him to the bunch in just a week or two. See you then.

No comments: