Monday, April 22, 2024

The Witcher Series

The Witcher is an interesting book series. It began as a bunch of short stories, and eventually blossomed into a five book series (a quintology? No, internet says pentology) that then ended and was followed up by a standalone novel that was set back in the midst of the short stories.

I was talking to Rish about that the other day, saying that Lara & the Witch could be that if he wanted it to. He's written a bunch of short stories in the world and at least one novel as well. Compile that shit together and you might have something just as impressive.

Well, I listened to the audiobooks of the whole Witcher series in late 2022 and early 2023, and I put the books on my list to acquire. I have recently managed to achieve that goal. So, here's that series. First is Blood of Elves.

Followed by The Time of Contempt:

Next is Baptism of Fire:

Then The Tower of Swallows:

And the last book in the Pentology is The Lady of the Lake:

Then, just yesterday, I acquired the last book, the prequel tale Season of Storms:

The art on all of these covers is really magnificent. It reminds me of when I was a child, and I got various Piers Anthony books and would sit and stare at the amazing things depicted on their covers. It was an easy sell to get me to read the stories within with art like that, and these Witcher books are no different.

The interiors are nothing special, just standard book stuff, but they look good together on my bookshelf.

Sadly, a quirk of my shelves leaves them split up on either side of the Lego Scout Walker.

As I add books and sometimes subtract them as well, though, things shift, so they might be reunited someday. Who knows?

Anyway, I recommend reading those books if you are in the least interested. They were a great series. The TV show was okay, but I didn't even watch past the first season. I'm mostly a fan of the books.

No comments: