Saturday, January 27, 2024

Bonanza

It's been a bit of a Star Wars Vintage Collection bonanza at Ross recently. I remember when I first started collecting figures for Ankletown Station, I despaired because I only could find Fortnite figures or Halo figures or Batman figures in my price range. I wanted there to be a preponderance of Star Wars aliens, but I couldn't afford to buy them. They were never on sale at Ross, and worse, just as I started collecting them, Hasbro raised their prices from around $12 a piece to more like $17 a piece. They wanted to charge as much as I was used to paying for a 6-inch figure for a 3.75-inch figure.

I bought a few of them, but I kept it as sparing as possible, because they were so costly. I couldn't afford to go ham on them like I was doing with Fortnite or Halo or Batman or Final Faction.

Then, all of a sudden, they started appearing at Ross. At first they were lame ones like the Obi-Wan from the Kenobi TV show, or the child Anakin from the prequels. I bought them anyway, because why wouldn't I? They were only three or four bucks.

Eventually, though, it started showing up more frequently. There were still mostly just the human figures, but sometimes I got treats like the Cantina band or a bunch of cheap stormtroopers.

Now I'm getting spoiled. It's been basically a bonanza of Vintage Collection at Ross recently. Another wave of figures has hit, and I'm finding them here and there. I got the Klatoonian Raiders that I showed you yesterday, and the girl—Vel Sartha—too.

Yesterday I found even more. I came across these stormtroopers.

I almost didn't get them, because I thought they were clone troopers, and I despise those things, but they're not, they're just stormtroopers that follow the BS color scheme shit that they invented in the Clone Wars TV show. Yes, I'm not a fan of the yellow highlights, but it's fine. I'll take 'em.

They come with these dumb mortars, because, you know, we're still fighting with mortars, even though everyone has a laser gun in their hand. They came with four rounds for the mortars that fit into the troopers backpacks.

I dig that they have storage for them at least. I suspect that I won't use them as mortars, though. I'll probably use them as cups in the Cantina bar instead. They look like they're the right size for that.

I also found the Endor Luke Skywalker at Ross yesterday.

That's pretty cool. He looks really good.

Although, now I need a speeder bike for him to cut the fins off of as it flies past. Maybe that'll show up at Ross too.

I had to pick up this Luke, because years ago now, I found the Endor Leia on sale at Walmart. Now I've got 2/3rds of our heroes from Return of the Jedi.

I just gotta get me a Han, and I'm all set for my Endor collection. He's out there, maybe he'll make it to Ross too.

Anyway, all this talk of the bounty I can find at Ross makes me want to go to work early and swing past all the Rosses in a part of town I usually don't go to on my way, just to see what they have...maybe I'll go hop in the shower now and get going...

No comments: