Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Day 20

Over the weekend, Rish and I attended a writers' conference. One of the panels Rish attended (without me, because I was still sleeping, and didn't make it until this hour was over) was called Full-Time vs. Part-Time Writers. One of the writers told a story about how he and his other writer friends helped each other to write. They met each other once a week at a coffee shop, but they weren't allowed to talk or hang out or any of that good stuff until they'd sat down and written for an hour.

Rish and I both liked that idea. After all, we already get together once a week. Why not force ourselves to write as part of that time?

So, we did. This week, we both sat down at the local Wendy's, and I set a timer on my phone for 30 minutes, and we wrote. I liked it, because, being away from my home computer I felt less able to waste time on the internet as I would normally be. I had to concentrate on the story I was writing and nothing else.

It was hard to know for sure how much I was getting done, because I was writing with a wireless keyboard paired via bluetooth to my phone, and the small screen rendered my paragraphs enormous. But I felt like I was totally flying through the story.

My total in the half hour was 613 words. Not bad. I think we may have to up the time to an hour instead, but I really enjoyed it.

Years ago, Rish and I both worked together. After work ended, instead of going home for the night, we both stuck around, and had to write for an hour. This feels a lot like that. I got a lot of writing done in those days, and wrote some of my best stories ever. I feel really positive about this experiment too. This is going to become one of our weekly traditions.

The writers' conference was worth the price for that piece of advice alone.

No comments: