Sunday, November 5, 2023

Hissy Fit

I went back to Ollie's today, probably for the last time over the next six months or so. Unless I see another YouTube video that tells me I could find something awesome there, it's not worth the long drive to get there.

I was hoping to find more Sgt. Slaughters there. My nephew asked me to get one for him and his friend if they still had them. Sadly, they did not. They did have something that Rish wanted me to get, however.

They don't have Ollie's out where he lives, so he couldn't get it himself. Last week, after I went to Ollie's, I mentioned to him that I'd almost bought a Hiss Tank from the GI Joe line. I had this idea that I could turn it into a space tank that the galactic empire would use alongside their AT-ATs and AT-STs.

It's a very spacey looking tank. It would fit right in with stormtroopers and other Star Wars guys. It wasn't my imagination that came up with it, though. Empire Toy Works posted a picture of it months ago.

I sent that picture to Rish, and he loved it. He thought it would be super rad if we both got one, and each dressed them up to be imperial vehicles, then compared our final pictures.

They have lots of Hiss Tanks at Ollie's, so there was no worry of them disappearing off the shelves before I could get us some. Since the Sarge wasn't there, I went ahead and got us two tanks.

I left Rish's in the box, but I opened mine up to get a look at what I would be working with.

The thing came in four pieces that you have to assemble...five if you count the figure. The turret, the canopy, the body of the tank, and the treads of the tank were all separate, and you have to snap them together. I also came with sticker to put on, but I think I will skip those, since they're not written in the Star Wars language, Aurebesh.

I was stoked that the body of the tank came separate from the treads and turret. That way, I can just take some spray paint to this piece and have it painted nice and quick.

I want to see if I can find an off white color, a sort of really light gray, like the color of my AT-AT.

I'll do some detail painting in other spots, but it's a pretty basic tank, so it wont take all that much. I'll probably paint a panel or two on the side of it a slightly different gray color, like the panels on the AT-AT. That'll be pretty cool. It'll look pretty great when it's done, I think. And I will certainly update you on it when I finish, so you can see the final product. I think I want to get to it right away, so it may not be that long before I do.

No comments: