Monday, November 13, 2023

Star Wars Christmas -

I'm going to blame this all on Rish. He knows I have little self-control and that I love Christmas-themed toys. The other day he texted me this picture, telling me I could find them at Walmart.

I tend to ignore these Star Wars Black Series Christmas repaint toys. Usually, I don't have a problem with them, because they look so bad. They take a figure they've already made, and paint it up to look Christmas-themed. However, they tend to be butt ugly. Look at these figures. They were the options for the first year of this series:




You don't think I'm crazy for saying that those are all really ugly, right? I think the striped socks BS is the thing I hate the most. If they'd skipped that part, I might have liked one or two of them. Not that snow trooper though. That scarf-looking design on the hood is horrible!

However, every year, there's always one outlier, one figure that doesn't fit the mold. That first year, they also had this figure available:

Now that guy was freaking cool. I mean, sure, he was a Range Trooper, from that utterly forgettable Solo movie, but changing it to a Santa suit, it's perfect!

I've wanted that figure for a while. Unfortunately, I never once saw it in the stores back in 2020. Heck, we were barely allowed into stores back in 2020, and all the merchandise got delayed and stuck in ships off the coast of Los Angeles for months and so forth, so I guess it's no surprise I never saw it.

I checked it out on eBay here and there over the years, though. I always thought it would be cool to switch that guy out for my Darth Vader in this bit of Christmas display:

That would be pretty badass, right? Well, something about Rish's text awoke that old coveting monster within me, and I wanted me a Star Wars Christmas figure. But a good one. Not an ugly one. So, I rushed out to all the local Walmarts near me to see if they had three K2SOs like Rish's did.

Well, they didn't. Not three, not even one. I went to three Walmarts, and none of them had any Christmas Star Wars stuff. I wondered if they might have some at Target, and I checked in on my local Target. No sir, no sir. Not a thing there.

 I looked back on eBay again, however. They always have them there. Most people were asking an arm and a leg for the figures, but I did find a guy who was offering that Range Trooper I've been lusting over at a price very similar to what they want at the store right now. Normally, I would have thought about it, and decided against it, but because I was primed, I made an impulse buy.

A few days later, this arrived on my doorstep.


 Dang, he's so cool. I put him into my favorite pose for figures these day, a tough walking pose.


Doesn't he look rad? He also came with this little Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer droid.


That thing is very cute, but unbelievably hard to stand up. Whoever came up with the design...J.J. Abrams, wasn't it?...sucks.

I made a preview picture of the Dark Snow Lord and his minions display that I will put up for Christmas this year:

And, for fun, I found the Santa head that I have from my Santa figure i got last year, and switched the Range Trooper's head out for his. Looks pretty good, eh?

The problem with this is that I really love it, and it only makes me want more of those Star Wars figures. The second year they did them, which was 2022, they also sucked. But there was that one outlier. This Wookiee made to look like Bumble the abominable snow monster from the Rankin Bass Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer Christmas special was my favorite.

Maybe I should get that one.

I also thought I maybe ought to get the Biker Scout that they made last year. It might be fun to switch him out for the regular Biker Scout that I have on my shelf normally. I could take this guy:

And trade him for this guy during December:

Yeah, he's really ugly, and does the stripey socks thing that I despise, but once you pop, you can't stop, can you?

There's new figures for this year too, and they've improved a lot on the other years. They ditched the ugly repaints with stripey socks, and went with a lot more themed repaints like the Santa Range Trooper I just got. So, I may have to get some of the new ones too.

Oh man, this might get expensive. Somebody stop me.

No comments: