Thursday, November 30, 2023

Santa And His Elves

Last year, a company called Fresh Monkey Fiction decided they would make a new line of toys called the Naughty or Nice Collection. The centerpiece of the line was a six inch scale Santa Clause figure. Then, they started making other things that would go with that like elves and nutcrackers. I was very interested in acquiring some of those figures. It was basically something I'd been asking for for years. My Christmas toy collection seemed pretty incomplete without a Santa Claus in the mix. So, I signed up for the pre-orders.

My figures came about two days before Christmas last year, so they didn't get much time on the shelf. This will be their first year there for the whole month.

I'm thinking about getting some more of them. Luckily, they're not all sold out yet. They did a number of different versions of Santa. As any toy collector knows, the expensive part of toymaking is creating the molds that the factory injects with plastic to create each piece of the toy. So, if you can use those molds many more times, by making variants or repaints, then you save a lot of money and therefore get to keep more profit in the end. 

So, toymakers always make repaints and variants. For example, the two elves up above are exactly the same mold from the shoulders down, but painted differently to make them appear to be completely new characters. They did this with Santa too, and I want some of the variants. For example the cyborg Santa:

He's exactly the same as the other Santa, except for the head and the hands, which are roboticized. He also comes with a fully robotic head.


And a shotgun, to make him as Terminator-like as possible. Then there's Zombie Santa:

Again, exactly the same body, just a new head and hands. Some stains and blood spatter painted onto the coat too, but that's just paint. Lastly, I want this Krampus:

Another same body but new head and hands...this guy has a tail too, which means that Santa's butt has a hole in it to plug the tail into even though he's just a regular Santa. Hmmm...

I like the look of this guy, and I like the idea of him somehow being Santa's evil half or something. Same outfit but now it's a demon!

I suppose, if and when I get these, I'll post about them on here, and show you some pictures. We'll see how it goes. I may not be able to afford it though. I just entered into a process that may drain away any money I might have had for toys this month, so it remains to be seen.

No comments: