Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Back To The Grindstone

For a little less than a month, I worked a different schedule at work. They made a shift that I'd never seen offered to a TV editor. I jumped at the chance to take it. I got up early, went to work, and came home not long after my kids were home from school. It was pretty nice.

Unfortunately, it didn't last. There was an audit at work, and several positions were eliminated. One of them being that newly created editor position. Luckily for me, they didn't jettison me along with the shift. Instead, another guy got the ax. It did mean, however, that I had to return to my original shift.

Today was my first day back on the old night shift. In between the time that I left the old night shift and returned to the old night shift, however, I started this writing thing. I kind of had a bit of a routine going with it, but now that's all on its head.

I had a pretty hard time finding a chance to write today. I know I can do it, because I did it while on this shift last year for several months, and I did it while on this shift in 2020 as well. I just have to get used to it.

I wrote my words today, but less words than I wanted. I'm worried they might be a little disjointed, because I was a little distracted while I was writing too. Hopefully, they're not complete shite. I only managed 594 today.

That word count ups my total to 9,121. Now I'm over 60% of my goal for this month.

9121 / 15000 (60.81%)

And we still haven't even made it to the halfway point of the month. My year-to-date now looks like this:

 My low word count for the day pulled my average for the month down slightly. Boo.

Here's the meter for the year:

9121 / 15000 (60.81%)

Still in the three percent range. I know it'll be hard work, but when I get to the 1,000 words a day month, I'll be happy to see that percentage rise faster.

So, I finished "Karma Is My Boyfriend" yesterday, and had to start into something new today. So, that might account for why I had a hard time writing words as well. I spent a lot of time just reading the rest of the story, so I could pick it up from where I left off in 2022. Even though I only wrote 594 today, The book is already 3,156 words long, because I got to pick up where I left off. 

On top of that, I wrote a pretty detailed outline of the book before I started writing the text in the book itself, so I know where it goes from beginning to end. It's bare bones still, so I get to create plenty, but I'm not completely pantsing here like I was with Karma. Hopefully, that will make it easy to keep going. I guess I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow.

No comments: