Friday, December 15, 2023

December, Week Two

Okay, it's time for my second weekly report for writing in December (you can find the first one HERE). Once again, I managed to write every day, and hit my 1,000 word goal too.

My word counts were pretty similar to the week before's. Some of them were even pretty meager, like yesterday, when I checked to see how many words I still needed to write, and I saw that I was at 1,005 and could already quit. "Woohoo!" I crowed, and closed the program then and there. Then there were others where I went as far as 394 words past my minimum. So, you never know.

As far as my monthly goal goes, I'm over halfway there.

16408 / 30000 (54.69%)

But not significantly so. Of course, it's still not the halfway mark for the month yet, so I guess that means I'm doing pretty good. On the year to date chart:

I'm cruising along. By the end of next week, I should have passed 50,000 for the year. That's pretty cool. My average has dipped a little after the last two days. It was over 1,200, but two weak showings brought me back down a ways. It would be neat to get to 1,250, but I'm not making that a goal. I might make it a goal in a future month, but this month it's just an it-would-be-neat.

My meter says:

43321 / 304475 (14.23%)

14.23% so far, and we are13.11% of the way through the year, so I am lengthening my lead. It's now more than a full percent.

The writing has been fun, and I've been taking pains to prioritize it. I write in the mornings before going to work, and have only had to rely on my lunch break once this whole month to finish up, because I let my morning get away from me that day...yesterday. It's that thing that Chris Fox talked about in his book, eat that frog. Do the most important things first.

I've completed one story, that's the one called "Karma Is My Boyfriend." I'm 36,216 words into my next project, a book called "Caught Up in Christmas." It's been fun, and I'm enjoying telling the story. I'm afraid I probably won't finish it before Christmas. Will the Christmas spirit still move me to keep writing even after the season is over? I think it'll be fine. 

It's probably about time that I start thinking about what I'm going to write next, too. So far, I've had stories that had been started, but not finished to pick up on. "Caught Up in Christmas' had a full outline for me to follow. So, it's been a breeze. I did a lot of prep work on my book that will be called "Skeleton Crew" last year, and even wrote for one day on the first chapter, but it has not got any outline. It's got a lot of other supplemental materials that I can get myself back up to speed with, but if I want to write it next, I better start thinking about and working on its outline, so that when I finally get to THE END of "Caught Up in Christmas," I won't be stuck floundering with nothing to write the next day.

Guess I have a goal to work toward for the rest of the month.

No comments: