Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Terrorized

Ross has been getting more new stuff. Rish sent me a text the other day saying that he'd found these at Ross:


It's Toony Terrors! I've always kind of loved those toys. In my mind, they make me think of Scooby-Doo. It's like they took legitimately terrifying things, and Scooby-Doo-ized them so that they look more like Old Man Witherspoon from the Old Abandoned Amusement Park in a mask instead of the terrifying thing that they actually are.

Today, I found my first one:

I am completely unfamiliar with The Miner. Rish tells me he's from My Bloody Valentine. Needless to say, I didn't buy it. If I don't even know the character, then I don't need the toy, but there is another problem. Ross wants very non-Ross-like prices for them. Look at the price tag.

Normally, a Ross price tag will say, comparable value $25, Ross price $5.99. This time around, it's like one of those weak sauce Walmart Rollbacks. $15 down to $12? I have one Toony Terrors figure that I bought at full price a few years ago. When I bought it, $12.99 was the regular full price. This seems like a slap in the face from Ross.

I went to a second Ross, and found a bunch more too.









Many of those are ones that I wouldn't but, even if the price was really low, but several of them I would if only the price was right. $12, however, is not right. I would not get to play for the Showcase Showdown if I'd guessed $12 on these.

I did decide to buy one of them. They had a Freddy Krueger, and I figured I liked that enough to pay the $12. I took it to the front, and it didn't have a price tag on it, so the lady said, "I'll just make it the same price as this other one." She was referring to the GI Joe figure I was also buying.  Ross prices the GI Joes reasonably.

I feel a little bad, because I knew what price it was supposed to be, and I could have said something. I suspect they would have run somebody back to check the price of others or something. The line was really, really long. So long that I considered not waiting in it, even though I had two things I wanted to buy, and I didn't want to hold up the people behind me any more than necessary. Besides, it was working out in my favor, so I shut up and let it go, and got Freddy for a reasonable price.

He can't even stand up without that figure stand, and it was hard as hell to get the peg into the hole in his foot. Not well designed, but it fit in there eventually. He's pretty cool. He'll be fun to put up at Halloween time.

Maybe after Christmas, they'll lower the price on the rest of those guys, though I highly doubt it. They'll probably sit unbought for months on their shelves.

No comments: