Thursday, December 28, 2023

The Golden Age Of Ross

For the last few months, Ross, one of my favorite stores for toys, has been a magical place. Rish Outfield has been calling this time period the golden age of Ross. They've had a whole lot of really great stuff and it's been priced so low that even a cheap ass like me can't turn it down. 

I've been regaling you with my Ross finds here on this blog for the last while, and I could keep going for a while to come, because of how many things I've picked up there. For example, the other day I found Copperhead at Ross for $6. I like that guy, and would have loved to buy him before now, but not for the $25 that they were asking when I saw it at Target months ago.

$6 is a great price, and I couldn't turn that down, so I didn't. It was a cool Cobra guy that I could add to my group since I moved Zartan out to go elsewhere. Copperhead looks pretty good in there, right?

It's funny to see that they even made a Copperhead figure. Originally, he was the driver for the Water Mocassin boat, but they aren't making anything like that these days. Anytime they make a vehicle, they want to charge and arm and a leg for it...in fact, they go ahead and ask for both arms and both legs. So, I can't see them ever getting around to a thing like the Water Mocassin, but you never know. for one thing, it doesn't have to be that fancy. The only moving parts on the original one were the fan at the back and the canopy in the front. They should be able to make that and make it cheap, but don't count on it happening.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. We're talking the golden age of Ross. It's sad to see a golden age come to an end, but I think we may be there for Ross. I just went to one of my local Rosses this morning for the first time since Christmas, and the toy section is greatly reduced. There's way less selection, and I wasn't able to find anything worth buying. That's not something that happened much in the last few months, so I fear our special time has come to an end.

It was bound to happen. The boon was only there to service the present buying public, and now that there's nothing to get presents for, why would they keep the toys around? I have to wonder what they did with all the toys that were on the extra tables they'd added though. Did they just pile them up on a pallet in the back and shrink wrap them to send them back to the warehouse? Or did people actually buy enough on Christmas Eve to make it so that they could condense the toy section back into it's single aisle in the store again? Who knows.

No comments: