Sunday, December 17, 2023

Dressing For Less

I don't know if you've ever been to a Ross store at Christmastime, but if you have, then you know that they usually look something like this:

They tend to be so ransacked and destroyed, that even if they had any worthwhile merchandise, you probably wouldn't be able to to find it.

This year is different than others I've dealt with in the past. Now, don't get me wrong, they're all still generally ransacked and destroyed. They look like they were robbed by somebody who was looking for the hiding place where the money was kept, like someone's house always does after they've been robbed in the movies.

However, they have merchandise this year. Enough merchandise to make it worth going back again and again. They have good stuff, and they keep getting more on a near daily basis.

I've been finding stuff there all month, but it just keeps happening. I figured I'd share with you a few of my most recent discoveries.

As always, I'm looking for stuff to put in my upcoming space station build, Ankletown Station. I'd really like to have a large army of Stormtroopers, but those darn Vintage Collection figures are so expensive. Well, enter Ross to my rescue. They put out a Stormtrooper figure that comes with the E-Web cannon from the final episode of Mandalorian season 1. He was horribly overpriced, and therefore, didn't sell well. So now, Ross has them for waaaaaaaay cheaper. I've been checking Rosses as often as I can in search of them, and the other day, I finally found some. 

Two, to be exact, for $6 a piece. 

So, I got the deluxe figures for less than half of what they normally charge for a regular, non-deluxe release. I got two, but I would have bought as many as they had. If they had ten, I would have bought them all.

I'm still hoping that I'll find more of them at other Rosses, and can build my troop size up higher. Usually, once you find something at one Ross, you start seeing it at all of them. Although, I know that other collectors are keen to get their hands on them as well, so there's a pretty cutthroat competition out there for them. So, I guess we'll see.

However, they're not the only reason to head out to Ross. The other day, I also found this Fortnite figure for $3.

I believe his name is Eternal Voyager, if I recall correctly. They have earlier versions of the guy with his helmet visor down, and he looks like a cool astronaut. This visor up version is pretty good too. He definitely looks like someone who belongs on a space station, right?

Yesterday, I  found these two as well.

This is the Jada Toys Universal Monsters line of toys. They are usually $30 or so, but at Ross, I got them for $9. They will look awesome at Halloween...as long as I'm not too lazy to put up my stuff next Halloween. They come in a kind of small box, but they are six inch scale, and fit in with most of the rest of the figures that I own.

So if I wanted, I could pose them as if they were chasing my GI Joes or Star Wars guys or whatever. Rish told me that he saw several other monsters from the line last night while at Ross where he lives, so there may be a chance to add a few more, like Dracula, the Wolfman, or the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I know it's Christmas, and I should be looking for presents for others instead of myself, but Ross and its great prices on things that had been overpriced up until now, has got me in the mood to get everything that I can. I suppose that's the opposite lesson from what were supposed to learn and relearn each December, but this year, I can't seem to help it. Maybe there'll be hope for me next year.

No comments: