Tuesday, December 5, 2023

You're A Witcher, Henry!

I just finished saying that I didn't expect to find anything more to buy for myself at Ross this December, but I had some extra time the other day, so I stopped in, and Ross had new stuff I hadn't seen yet.

At the start of this year, I worked my way through the Witcher books, and I absolutely loved them. I looked on eBay and Amazon to see if I couldn't get my hands on some of the McFarlane figures of the Witcher. I was hoping to get Geralt, Dandelion, and Ciri if at all possible. They were the main characters that were available. I don't think McFarlane made a Yennefer figure, but I'd get that one too if they did.

Well, they were more expensive than I wanted to pay, so I kind of forgot about them. Then, wham! I walked into Ross, and the figures dropped into my lap. They had both Geralt and Dandelion, and each one was only $5.

Geralt comes with this hooded cape thing. It's hard to make it work without looking like he's wearing shitty doll clothes or something. You have to tie the string around his neck, and there's just no way to make a knot at human scale that doesn't look ridiculous at action figure scale. What I wound up doing was using Geralt's hair to pin the cloak down and just wrapped the ties in underneath rather than tying a knot.

It looks okay. There's always that trade off when it comes to capes and robes and cloaks with action figures. Do you want it to be poseable? Or do you want it to look like it scales with the figure correctly? Generally you can't have both. Which matters more to you?

Maybe it's just me, but Dandelion's lute seems a little small. I guess I live with it. These guys look pretty good. I'll keep an eye out to see if Ciri shows up, or even Roach. That would be pretty awesome. I'd be happy if I had to stay right where I am, and happy with any other addition I might get to make.

I need to start getting the books to put on my bookshelf though. That's the collection I've fallen behind on.

No comments: