Monday, December 4, 2023

Mr. Krabs

Taking a little break from the Christmas decorations, here is another acquisition that I made for my collection.

It's a four-inch-scale Avatar Crab Mech.

I haven't even seen the movie, but I really like this thing. I posted about getting the small-scale version of it months ago. It was on clearance, so I grabbed two of them. My plan is to paint them yellow, and make them look like some kind of construction equipment. The idea is that these things are the future equivalent of a front end loader or a bulldozer. This is what people use to fix up Ankletown station when something breaks.

So, I'll definitely do the same with this larger scale version of the toy. This one went on sale on Amazon, and I figured I should jump on it while I could. I missed my chance to get the Amp Suit. Those went on clearance at some point and sold out.

So I didn't want that to happen again. I managed to get one for less than half of its original price, and I have to say, it's really cool. This shot gives you an idea of the size. That's the four-inch scale Mantis figure from Guardians of the Galaxy next to the leg.

You can fit a figure inside the cockpit. In fact, it comes with two different openings. You can open a hatch on the top to climb in...

Which I suppose is how a real person would enter this contraption, but, of course, this is a toy, and the figure can't move on its own...at least until I get a cupboard and a magic key for it. So, I have to position the the figure with my hands, and they can't fit inside that hatch. I guess the hatch is just in case you want to take a picture like the one above.

If you want to actually position the figure at the controls, however, you can open the entire cockpit.

With that open, there's plenty of room to put the figure in. It's a weird cockpit though. There's enough space that the figure could sit down with its back against the back wall like a normal cockpit.

But the controls are out of reach if that's what you do. Instead, they're supposed to perch on a kind of kneeling seat-type thing and lean against the controls to take their spot.

Then you can close the window, and you can see the figure inside controlling the mech.

It looks pretty awesome, right?

The space for the figure is pretty small, though, so you can't just use any figure in there. A 5 POA figure could never sit in there, and bigger figures like the Halo ones I have will make it impossible to close the cockpit...unless maybe you really position them weirdly or something. I don't know, maybe if you stuck their legs back behind them or something weird like that they might fit.

Mantis is on the smaller side, so she fits great. I think any Star Wars Vintage Collection figure would probably fit, because they are 3.75 inch scale and not 4 inch scale or even 4.5 inch scale like some figures are.

I've got so many cool things to put into my space station now. I really need to get going on building the damn thing. I can't wait to pose this thing climbing up the side of a wall with a big metal panel in one hand and a rivet gun in the other as it goes to fix a problem in the building. That'll be pretty cool.

No comments: