Friday, January 26, 2024

Kitbashing

In yesterday's post, I talked about the Klatoonian Raiders that I found at a Ross. Today, I found the character from the Andor series named Vel Sartha.

I didn't have that one, and it would make a fine denizen of Ankletown Station, so I picked her up. 

I also found another Cassian Andor, and bought it as well. I thought I might be able to use the body to change up some of the various figures I have into looking like something all new. 

That's a simple process of action figure customizing that they call kitbashing. First of all, I just took the jacket off to see what that would look like. I expected it to look terrible, because his arms are the color of the jacket, so they wouldn't match with his shirt. There's no actual way to take off the jacket completely, since the sleeves are not removable. But...

I think it actually looks pretty good. It just looks like he has a blue vest on. It looks a little bit medieval or something, like he's wearing his Ren Fair costume, but I think it looks good.

Now, I had to pull out those Katoonian Raiders and do something with them.

The headress and skirts are actually overlay pieces on the base figure, so I started pulling and tugging to see if I could get them off.

It wasn't too hard, and now my Klatoonian looked like this:

Truthfully, he's fine as is. His clothes are mostly the same the same color, but that's not too bad. Plenty of people dress in five different shades of brown, right? Well, I thought I'd see if I couldn't maybe add a little, after all, I had a jacket sitting around with nowhere to go. I threw it on him, and man I think it looks good.

There's not even any issues with the arms being the wrong color. The shoulder pauldrons the figure had make the sleeves look perfectly natural. I think his arms may be the same shade of brown as the detail work on the jacket too.

So, just like that, I have an all new Klatoonian that nobody else has, and I can have him walking beside the other one, and no one would know they were the same figure.

That's pretty fun. I've always wanted my space station to be full to the brim with Star Wars aliens as if the entire place was one big cantina from Mos Eisley. I guess this is a good start.

For fun, I stuck the klatoonian head onto Cassian Andor's body.

Even that could work. It doesn't look great, the neck would need some paint, of course, and I'd have to switch out the hands, but it's definitely not unusable. The real problem is that the ball joint for the two heads is a different size, so I'd have to figure out how to deal with that. Maybe a little paint would improve it too. It's definitely doable.

No comments: