Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Greatly Exaggerated

Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated." They would have to be if he was saying that, I guess. Well, for the last while, I've been saying the same about the glory days of Ross, and yet I keep finding more stuff there that I can't help but post about here.

I'm back again. I was at Ross the other day, looking at the dearth of worthwhile items when I suddenly gasped. They had something I wanted quite a lot...not only that, but they had three of them. I grabbed them all and took them up to the register.

Those are Figrin D'an figures from the Star Wars Vintage Collection. I've been thinking about buying one from Amazon. They had them marked all the way down to $10.18 and it seemed like it might be too good of a deal to let pass me by, but here they are for half that, and I could get three of them.

If you don't recognize Figrin D'an, he is the leader of the Modal Nodes, the band playing that amazing space jazz in the Mos Eisley cantina in Star Wars.

Three of them is a good start, but not even enough to be all of them. There's at least seven of them, and if I was going to get them at Amazon price (which is already marked down $5), it would cost me $70 to assemble the band. Now it might only be $35. I was pretty excited.

I got them home and opened them up. What do you think?

It's a pretty good start. The Modal Nodes could be the house band in the Ankletown Station cantina as well. Or these guys could just be the surviving members still out playing their music throughout the galaxy, depending on whether I can find more of them. the fact that I found three at once gives me high hopes, although those high hopes led me to a second Ross that morning, and all I found there was this super flamboyant version of Lando.

The house band for that guy's cantina would certainly be the Bee Gees or something. I once saw this Fortnite 4-pack on for really cheap at Ross...

...and I thought, I could swap out the heads and make the Bee Gees with that.

Although it's probably closer to Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

Either way, now that I have that goofy Lando, I wonder if it was a mistake to let all those white suits pass me by.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep looking, and hopefully I'll find a lot more of those Figrin D'an figures. I'd love to get the whole cantina band...in fact, I'd love as many of those aliens as I can get. I could pop their heads onto any number of other figures to create more aliens wandering around the streets of Ankletown.

No comments: